? ??????????????????? ????Easy Install Instructions:???1. Copy the Code??2. Log in to your Blogger account
and go to "Manage Layout" from the Blogger Dashboard??3. Click on the "Edit HTML" tab.??4. Delete the code already in the "Edit Template" box and paste the new code in.??5. Click "S BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS ?

Thursday, May 21, 2009

FOOD FOR THOUGHT

Here it comes. . . Memorial Day! The start of all our summertime dieting woes, right? Wrong! There are ways to take Memorial Day back and change the way we think of our holiday traditions. Here are some suggestions to help keep you on track this weekend:

1. Volunteer to be in charge of the meal this year. Or, if you can't, volunteer to be the one who brings the potato salad, chips or whatever so you're in control with how it is prepared. Or, even if you're not asked to, you could bring a veggie tray or extra salad, just to make sure there will be something good to eat. This year I am asking to do our family BBQ "bring-your-own-meat" style, so I can bring my chicken and the kids' fat-free hot dogs. Everyone else can do what they want. I am also in charge of the salad (see the broccoli salad recipe below) and the brownies which will be prepared from a low-fat Betty Crocker mix, cutting the points value in half.

2. Think about what you're probably going to have for dinner and plan ahead. For example, if I know that I'm really going to want some of Aunt Edna's famous potato salad, I need to weigh my options accordingly. Do I want to spend all my points on a heaping helping, or should I just have a quarter cup, then fill up on healthier options? Do I want to use all of my weekly points at one meal, or would I rather spend some later on in the week? Remember that there's no right or wrong way to do it, as long as you stay within your points. (To learn more about points, go to www.weightwatchers.com).

3. Make a new activity tradition so the holiday isn't just about the food anymore. We will be doing a family badminton tournament this year. You could go on a family hike, fly kites, have a water fight, have a relay race, play basketball, go for a bike ride, plant a garden, WHATEVER! These traditions will make memories that last a lifetime. Here is a list of family activities and the calories you can burn doing them:

(based on 30 minutes of activity)

Football - playing catch 74
Frisbee playing- 90
Bowling-90
Bicycling - leisure 117
Walking 3 mph 129
Washing car 133
Basketball - shooting baskets 133
Garden- 160
Hiking- 176
Golf - carry clubs 179
Soccer or basketball casual 207*

Based on a 130 lb. woman from Health Status. (Good news! The more you weigh, the more calories you burn!)

1 comments:

Emily said...

Yeah! I love this post and all of the great ideas! I just wish I would have read these before Memorial Day! I'm glad that you included the calories for each activity. You are such an inspiration, Kristen, and you've got great ideas! Keep 'em coming...you're doing great things!