? ??????????????????? ????Easy Install Instructions:???1. Copy the Code??2. Log in to your Blogger account
and go to "Manage Layout" from the Blogger Dashboard??3. Click on the "Edit HTML" tab.??4. Delete the code already in the "Edit Template" box and paste the new code in.??5. Click "S BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS ?

Saturday, May 16, 2009

FOOD FOR THE SPIRIT

Thomas S. Monson spoke of one sister who left an idyllic life in East Prussia with her five young children shortly after her husband had been killed at war. She was forced by the government to move her family to West Germany and seek a new home. The journey was over a thousand miles, all of which would be traveled by foot. She took with her only a very small bag of possessions and her faith in God. She gathered subsistence only from the fields along the way. As the temperature began dropping, each day she numbly stumbled across the frozen ground, until one morning she awoke to find her 3-year-old daughters frozen little body. She needed to bury the child but the only tool she had was a small tablespoon. She dug and dug, then gently laid her daughter into the ground. Though overwhelmed with grief, she continued. Weeks later her seven-year-old son died from starvation or freezing. Again her spoon was the only shovel. Next her five-year-old son died, and again she used the spoon.

Her despair, as you can imagine, was all-consuming. She was now left with only one child, a tiny baby girl. Finally as she reached the end of her journey this baby died too. The spoon was gone now, so hour after hour she dug a grave in the frozen earth with her bare fingers. Her grief became unbearable. She had lost her husband and all her children. She had given up earthly goods, her home, and even her homeland.

...How easy it would be for her to give up, to end her own life. As these thoughts assailed her, something within her said, "Get down on your knees and pray." She ignored the prompting until she could not any longer.

"Dear Father, I do not know how I can go on. I have nothing left--except my faith in Thee. I feel, Father...an overwhelming gratitude for the atoning sacrifice of Thy Son, Jesus Christ. I know that because He suffered and died, I shall live again with my family; I shall see my children again and have the joy of raising them."

She continued living, and throughout her life, she bore a powerful testimony to others.

I am simply in awe of this level of faith! I know that when I struggle, I am never alone. I am too so grateful for the Atonement. I am thankful for the examples of others, like this dear sister. I know that I can be long-suffering and patient in my trials, looking forward with perfect hope. I am truly thankful for this knowledge and I pray that I will remain faithful all my days, come what may.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just found your blog - from Sugardoodle- Thanks for your inspirational words and the great recipes. This is going into my favorites!

Beth

K Walton said...

Thanks Beth! It's good to have you along for the journey!