? ??????????????????? ????Easy Install Instructions:???1. Copy the Code??2. Log in to your Blogger account
and go to "Manage Layout" from the Blogger Dashboard??3. Click on the "Edit HTML" tab.??4. Delete the code already in the "Edit Template" box and paste the new code in.??5. Click "S BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS ?

Friday, May 15, 2009

FOOD FOR THE SPIRIT

President Dieter F. Uchdorf reminds us of the importance of the gospel in our search for answers and happiness in this life:

"...the world is not bashful in offering numerous new answers to every problem we face. People run from one idea to the next (or diet =), hoping to find something that will answer the burning questions of their souls. They attend seminars and buy books, CDs and other products. They get caught up in the excitement of looking for something new. But ineveitably, the flame of each new theory fades, only to be replaced by another "new and improved solution" that promises to do what the others before could not."

Here is where I must admit that I'm guilty. I've tried to draw inspiration in my battle against obesity everywhere from reality shows, to Dr. Phil, to books, to fanatical diets which deprive my body of essential nutrients. What I'd forgotten is that the gospel of Jesus Christ holds the answers to all of my questions regarding my health, finances, parenting, ANYTHING!

President Uchdorf continues, "It's not that these worldly options don't contain elements of truth--many of them do. Nevertheless, they all fall short of the lasting change we seek in our lives. After the excitement wears off, the hollowness remains as we look for the next new idea to unlock the secret of happiness."

2 comments:

kimiko said...

Kristen, I love your blog! Please keep it up so that I can have something inspirational to read every day. :) Sometimes I feel very alone in my attempts to lose weight, and it's nice to know someone who understands. I like the quotes by President Uchtdorf. I also found this address by Elder Bednar helpful. You can read it at http://www.byui.edu/Presentations/Transcripts/Devotionals/2002_01_08_Bednar.htm. It's about how the Atonement gives us the enabling power to do hard things. Elder Bednar shares a story I thought was particularly relevant to weight loss. He talked about one of the hand cart companies and how they didn't have anything to eat except the hide of animals. Instead of praying for something better, they prayed that they would be able to eat it and that their stomachs would adjust. It made me realize that it isn't silly to pray about the things I eat, and just maybe, I can pray so that chocolate will start tasting horrible and I'll start craving vegetables. ;) Sorry for the long comment!

K Walton said...

No problem, Kimiko...I love long comments! I actually have a condition called PCOS, which stands for Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome. Among other things, one of its symptoms is a very slow metabolism and insulin resistance. So the other day I decided to pray specifically that my body would respond better to my weight-loss attempts. Since then, the scale has told me I've already lost a pound or two. I think it's wonderful to know that our Heavenly Father will listen to our SPECIFIC requests. To me, it's further proof that my life does not go unnoticed. Thanks for the comments!