? ??????????????????? ????Easy Install Instructions:???1. Copy the Code??2. Log in to your Blogger account
and go to "Manage Layout" from the Blogger Dashboard??3. Click on the "Edit HTML" tab.??4. Delete the code already in the "Edit Template" box and paste the new code in.??5. Click "S BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS ?

Thursday, June 18, 2009

FOOD FOR THE SPIRIT

Today I read the Conference address, "The Ministry of Angels" by Jeffrey R. Holland, and it got me thinking: do I believe in angels? Sure, I believe that an angel appeared to Mary and Joseph, announcing that they would be Jesus' earthly parents. I am sure that angels sang in the heavens that night. I believe that as a result of a father's faith and prayers, Alma the Younger was visited by a heavenly being and subsequently repented. I have no doubts the these and many other angels throughout the scriptures indeed did visit mankind and minister unto them.

Do I believe that angels still minister unto men today? While I personally have little personal evidence to that end, I must believe that it is so. Now quoting Elder Holland: "As Mormon said to his son Moroni, who would one day be an angel: 'Has the day of miracles ceased? Or have angels ceased to appear unto the children of men. . . Behold I say unto you; Nay; for it is by faith that angels appear and minister unto men. . . For behold they are subject unto [Christ], to minister according to the word of his command, showing themselves unto them of strong faith and a firm mind in every form of godliness' (Moroni 7:35-37, 30).

Here we learn that angels can and do appear to men now, according to their level of faith and dedication, as well as according to the will of Jesus Christ.

My next question was, are there angels around me daily? Are there heavenly beings that can assist me with my struggles each day? Can I call upon these beings? Should I? First of all, I realized that there are earthly angels all around me: family members, friends, visiting teachers, and strangers whose kindness lifts me and keeps me strong. But I still couldn't help but wonder about angels from the other side and what role they play in my life.

Elder Holland said: ". . . I testify of angels, both the heavenly and earthly kind. In doing so, I am testifying that God NEVER leaves us unaided in the challenges that we face. 'Nor will he, so long as time shall last, or the earth shall stand, or there shall be one man upon the earth to be saved' (Moroni 7:36)."

President Monson's favorite scripture is D&C 84:88: "I will go before your face. I will be on your right hand and on your left,. . . my Spirit shall be in your heart, and mine angels round about you, to bear you up."

So, yes! I do believe in angels! I do believe that as the hard times come, I can and should pray for their assistance or comfort. What an incredible blessing that is! But Elder Holland does give us the following advice: "In the process of praying for those angels to attend us, may we all try to be a little more angelic ourselves--with a kind word, a strong arm, a declaration of faith and the 'covenant wherewith we have covenanted (D&C 90:24).'"

I would love to hear if anyone else has any thoughts on this topic. . . feel free to share your comments!

4 comments:

Sandi said...

I have a few stories about this (all of which a little too personal to share). But I KNOW that angels are watching out for us everyday! The unexplained way of how things "just worked out" testify to this...that God sent someone to watch over us and help us stumble through (or He, Himself, did...and was he not an angel at one time or another? "as He is[was], we will, too, become"). Angels from beyond the vail...both in the pre-exsistance and in the post-exsistance are around us everyday. I can testify that you (all of you who read this). Keep your chin up, and always, always, always smile...some one will see it and feel better themselves!

K Walton said...

Thanks, Sandi! As a further testament of angels, I was having a really hard day today and you turned out to be the angel I prayed for. Thanks for the comment!

Aaron, Emily, and Miles said...

I'm continually amazed by the Lord's hand in my life and the angels He sends to lift me and prepare me. There are so many "earth angels" who come in the form of friends and church leaders who give me a reason to keep smiling and keep plugging along when life is hard (Kristen--you are one of them!!!)

As we have struggled with infertility, I have also felt Heavenly angels supporting me (as well as the angels that will be my chidren) and giving me hope. Without this help from beyond the veil, I would not have been able to get through this sane! With the process of in-vitro almost complete, I continue to pray for angels to help us through and for my angel children to be able to join us in 9 months. In our case, it takes a village just to become pregnant! Thanks to all the angels in my life.!

K Walton said...

That's an awesome perspective, Em! I had never thought of my unborn children as being angels. Thanks! I'll have to remember that next time I feel alone. You guys inspire me!