? ??????????????????? ????Easy Install Instructions:???1. Copy the Code??2. Log in to your Blogger account
and go to "Manage Layout" from the Blogger Dashboard??3. Click on the "Edit HTML" tab.??4. Delete the code already in the "Edit Template" box and paste the new code in.??5. Click "S BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS ?

Saturday, June 20, 2009

FOOD FOR THE SPIRIT


Optimism

" 'I suppose every Mormon [man and] woman [have] measured [themselves] at one time or another against [their pioneer ancestors],' wrote Laurel Thatcher Ulrich. 'Am I as stalwart? As self-reliant? As devoted to the gospel? As willing to sacrifice?' Could I leave my wife and children without food or means to support themselves while I responded to a call to serve a mission abroad, or take these same innocent ones, dependent solely upon me for their survival, into hostile territory to set up housekeeping and provide a livelihood for them? Or, were I a woman, 'Could I crush my best china to add glitter to a temple, bid loving farewell to a missionary husband as I lay in a wagon bed with fever and chills, leave all that I possessed and walk across the plains to an arid wilderness?' (Ensign, June 1978, p. 54.)

"Some may feel that their lives of relative ease and convenience lack the vigor and fortitude of those who survived the pioneer days, that they can never measure up to the toil, struggles, and challenges our pioneer ancestors faced and emerge the victor.

"Yet, 'Our challenges are just as important as those of the past. Our testing is as crucial; our contributions may be as great. . . .

" 'An essential quality of the first pioneers was optimism, an ability to see new possibilities in a strange and unsettling environment. To beautify the desert, they needed faith in God, but they also needed faith in themselves and in their ability to help shape the world. The need for that faith has not diminished. . . .

" 'A pioneer is not [necessarily] a woman who makes her own soap' or a man who grubs sagebrush from the land. Pioneers are those who take up their burdens and walk toward the future. With vision and with courage they make the desert blossom and they press on toward new frontiers. (Ibid., p. 55.)"


(David B. Haight, "A Call to Serve" Ensign, November, 1988, p. 82-83)

2 comments:

Aaron, Emily, and Miles said...

Sometimes it is so hard to pick up our burdens and walk toward the future, especially when our burdens are not a part of the future we had planned for ourselves. But, thank heaven, life doesn't go how we planned. We are blessed for enjoying the journey and going forward in faith. I'm grateful that He knows MY plan and because I know that, I can carry my burden and walk to the future, because the future is bright and blossoming!

K Walton said...

Thanks for the inspiring comment, Emily! I know that your life has gone a little differently than planned, but your grace and dignity in dealing with your trials of faith have inspired me and many others. Your attitude of gratitude is highly motivating. Good luck with your treatment today. I am thinking of you and praying for you. =)