? ??????????????????? ????Easy Install Instructions:???1. Copy the Code??2. Log in to your Blogger account
and go to "Manage Layout" from the Blogger Dashboard??3. Click on the "Edit HTML" tab.??4. Delete the code already in the "Edit Template" box and paste the new code in.??5. Click "S BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS ?

Thursday, July 2, 2009

FOOD FOR THE SPIRIT

Recognizing Miracles

Lately, I have been making more and more of an effort to recognize the daily miracles in my life. This post may be a little more personal than many I have written, but I want to share with you my testimony that God blesses us in ways we don't always recognize.

We have been struggling financially this year. My husband's hours have been cut back dramatically at work, and as a result the overtime pay we were so used to before is gone, which has required him to pick up a second job just to help ends meet. He is working the same hours as he was before, but we are making much less. But before I start sounding too gloomy about the situation, I must share with you a series of events that have allowed us to survive this unexpected development.

We were able to attend a personal finance course last fall which taught us the importance of getting out of debt, how to budget more effectively, and how to live on less. As a result of this course (see www.daveramsey.com for more information), we were able to eliminate more than half of our debts before the unseen trials came our way.

Next, we were prompted to apply for Tyler's second job several months before the financial difficulties started. He is now working weekends with troubled young men who have been sent to his facility by the state's court system. Not until after he had already started, did we realize that his patriarchal blessing stated in a very specific nature that he would spend time working with "troubled young men" and help them "overcome bad habits."

In the meantime, we have been blessed through the promptings of others. For example, when we needed a crib mattress, a sweet Spanish sister from our ward brought one to us, explaining in her broken English: "You need this, yes? The Spirit tell me. . . "

Family members have given bags of beautiful, stylsih hand-me-downs that will serve as back-to-school clothes. The rain this years has blessed us in many ways, allowing our large garden and little orchard to produce in abundance, yielding healthy fruits and vegetables, as well as allowing us to water our lawns less, and use our air conditioning sparingly. Members of our ward have brought diapers they no longer needed. Visiting Teachers have brought us goodies that improved our moods just when we needed a pick-me-up. Our children have qualified for free preschool through the district, eliminating yet another cost from our budget. We have received nice work clothes from my husband's brother, which allow him to look well-dressed and professional on the job during a time when we don't have any extra money to spend on such things. And my husband still has his job, as well as a second job that not only pays the bills, but gives him great personal satisfaction. The list of blessings goes on and on. . . In fact, we have started a family Miracle Journal where we record these experiences and many, many others as a testament of God's love for us.

Why am I telling you all of this? I hope that you will be able to recognize the miracles in your lives. I hope that I will continue to be mindful of God's hand in all I do. He is blessing me with associations, with daily spiritual guidance, and in many, many other ways. Miracles are happening all around you. Look! Recognize them! Then write them down!

3 comments:

Nicole said...

Thanks for this reminder. I love letting the Lord know how much I appreciate His love and tender mercies!

Sandi said...

Thank you for sharing this. It is truly amazing how much we overlook what blessings we really are given in times like these. The Lord DOES bless every single one of us in SO many way. I try my hardest to look at situations and try to see the good that is there. Thanks again for the reminder. I needed it today more than ever!

kimiko said...

I liked your comment about the blessings of the rain. So many people have complained about all the extra rain. It's nice to have a positive perspective. Thanks for sharing all the other experiences, too. I love hearing about small miracles.