? ??????????????????? ????Easy Install Instructions:???1. Copy the Code??2. Log in to your Blogger account
and go to "Manage Layout" from the Blogger Dashboard??3. Click on the "Edit HTML" tab.??4. Delete the code already in the "Edit Template" box and paste the new code in.??5. Click "S BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS ?

Thursday, July 9, 2009

FOOD FOR THE SPIRIT

Rx for Depression. . . D&C 88:123-126

After my second daughter was born, I had a pretty serious bout with postpartum depression. I found myself dealing with an extremely colicky baby who wasn't gaining weight, I was serving as a counselor in the Relief Society Presidency, and I was working graves at a catering business. My energy was so depleted and I could hardly function at all. My house was a disaster and I began to gain significant weight. Simply put, I was miserable.

One day, I found life-changing respite while reading in D&C 88:123-126, which I now refer to as the cure for depression:

"See that ye love one another; cease to be covetous; learn to impart one to another as the gospel requires."

"Cease to be idle; cease to be unclean; cease to find fault one with another; cease to sleep longer than is needful; retire to thy bed early, that ye may not be weary; arise early, that your bodies and minds may be invigorated."

"And above all things, clothe yourselves with the bond of charity. . . "

"Pray always, that ye may not faint. . . "

As I began to apply this scripture to my life, my broken spirit was healed and the deep depression dissipated. Now, each time I begin to slip back into these old feelings, I read this passage, and quickly pinpoint the area which needs work. I am so grateful for the very personal and timely help the Lord prescribed for me in my hour of need, and I truly have a testimony of the power of personal revelation.

I wrote in to the Church News a few years ago and shared this story with them. It was published in January, 2008. Here is a link to the article if you're interested: http://www.ldschurchnews.com/articles/51529/Living-by-the-scriptures.html

4 comments:

Anna said...

Wow. What a great scripture. I've been feeling blah lately..I read my patriartical blessing and have felt more positive from reading it. I love this scripture though. It's so true. It's usually when you are doing nothing, needing a shower or changed out of pjs, not getting enough sleep, etc that you start feeling down.

I was reading an article about depression/anxiety and medications. It was saying that exercise and postive thinking and figuring out the reason why you are feeling down can make a huge difference. Medication is helpful when needed, but it's amazing what just following that scripture can do for the general blues.

Tamaran said...

I haven't posted a comment on your blog yet, but couldn't pass this one up. Thanks for sharing this experience and the scripture. I have to agree with everything that you said. I just was reminded of this earlier this week, have put it into action, and have been blessed already.

I also really appreciated your Food for the Spirit from yesterday. It is what I needed today.

Just want you to know that you are my new hero. I found your blog from Nicole K's just after I rededicated myself lose weight. I had received a blessing and had been relying on the Lord through prayer. I think He helped me to find your blog. Your posts have been helping me along the way. Thank you.

Janice said...

wow crazy that happened to me 2. All 3 of my kids had Colic so bad they had to have a perscription. my oldest was 11 lbs at 11 months old. She couldnt walk crawl or move. she was extremely tiny. Depressing. And then with my second she was in her -75th percentile and the Dr told me to quit nursing her. she had to have this formula that was so thick and nasty and cost 12 bucks a can so close to to 400 a month. THEN same thing.... I started gaining weight and could not say awake for anything. I dieted and was so strict with it and could not lose weight. Finally went to the dr and when they tested my thyroid he was so shocked said I should be well over 300lbs it was so bad.. Then lol like a month later when I finally saw a light where I could lose weight and not sleep so much. lol I got pregnant so being pregnacy gives the same symptoms it was insane but its great to reflect on that and laugh at how hard it sounds cuz looking at my kids now? I would go thru anything to have what I have now so that was nothin.... Funny thing about the scriptures.... with all the diet fads out there eat this eat that depending are you on atkins or zone or whatever.... the scriptures never change... moderation.... Lucky we have what we have. sorry so long. Just I totally identified with this.

K Walton said...

Thanks you guys, so much for all your comments. It helps me soooo much to know that others out there are struggling with the same things as I am. It has been such a blessing to know that I am not alone in all this. Now you know you're not either! Thanks for your comment about handling depression, Anna. Boy, I've come to learn the truth of that the hard way! Tam, thanks for coming to my blog. I feel like these experiences are not mine, but are meant to be shared so I can help someone. . . I truly appreciate your support. And Janice, I know I don't know you that well, but I want you to know that I am in AWE of all you are able to do as a single mom. And for the record, I think you're doing a fantastic job! I met your girls and thought they were exceptionally kind and good. And BTW, your new haircut is darling! Again, thanks so much, you guys! Keep the comments coming!